Fencing in Schools
We have an active youth development scheme, including a programme headed by our Schools Development Officer, Philip Lee. Fencing is currently available at the following schools across the country:
- Ashbourne Community School, 1 Deerpark, Ashbourne, Co. Meath
- Belvedere College, Dublin 1
- Dunamase College, Portlaoise
- Glenstal Abbey School, Co. Limerick
- Howth Primary School – Scoil Mhuire, Tuckett’s Lane, Howth, Co. Dublin
- Mount Temple Comprehensive School, Malahide Road, Clontarf, Dublin 3
- Presentation Brothers College, Cork
- St Conleth’s College, Dublin 4
- St Gerard’s School, Bray, Co. Wicklow
- St Raphaela’s School, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin
- Willow Park School, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
Start-up grants are available to schools wishing to include fencing in their sports programme, and we will be pleased to arrange demonstrations, equipment and coaching. If you are a school or sports club coach who would like to know more about bringing fencing into your area, we would be pleased to hear from you at email@example.com.
All schools that currently offer fencing are shown on the Clubs map.
Clubs for Young Fencers
The following clubs run separate classes aimed at younger age groups, so that children can learn to fence with others their own age. See the Clubs page for full details, and for details of other clubs in your area which may be able to accommodate younger fencers.
Boyne Valley Fencing Club
Contact: Cliona McCabe (secretary)
Venue: Drogheda Grammar School
Events for Young Fencers
The Youth Calendar lists competitions run specifically for fencers up to the age of 20, along with shows camps and competitions at home and abroad that may be of interest. These include our own annual Junior National Championships, incorporating events for Minor, Cadet and Junior fencers at all weapons.
- Under-17s (Cadets): The European Cadet Circuit runs in all six weapons and attracts young fencers from all over the world.
- Under-20s (Juniors): The FIE runs Junior World Cup events for individuals and national teams in all six weapons.
More information on international fencing may may be found on the Cadets & Juniors page in our Squad section.