There were upsets across the weapons in a small but tough Belfast Open.
After top seed Philip Slater went out in the L16 (to Pembroke cadet Antoine O’Kelly), foilist Alastair Houldsworth edged 15-14 victories all the way to the Men’s Épée title. Charlotte Slater (Lisburn Gladiators) continues to look unstoppable, having won three of the four NI titles in Women’s Épée this season.
Stephen Brown defeated GB teammate Theo Millar in the Men’s Foil final. In Women’s Foil, Keziah Beattie took gold ahead of former clubmate and Ireland international Victoria Duxbury.
New arrival Michael Jacob continued to impress in Men’s Sabre, while cadet fencer Beth Taylor tested her mettle against long-dominant Kathryn Marshall and came away with the championship.
Congratulations to the winners of this year’s Belfast Open:
- Men’s Épée: Alastair Houldsworth (Belfast FC)
- Women’s Épée: Charlotte Slater (Lisburn Gladiators)
- Men’s Foil: Stephen Brown (QUB)
- Women’s Foil: Keziah Beattie (Belfast FC / Grosvenor FC)
- Men’s Sabre: Michael Jacob (Birmingham FC)
- Women’s Sabre: Beth Taylor (Lisburn Gladiators)
Full standings can be found on the Belfast Open results page, with thanks to Alastair Davidson and Maureen Kerr of NI Fencing.