Fencing Ireland is working with Coaching Ireland to create a Coaching Development Programme (CDP), in line with the Irish Sports Council’s framework for coach education. Certified coaches will be included on the FI Coaches Register, to be published on this website.
- Level 1: Syllabus
- Level 2: under development, led by Dr Jonathan Katz. Dr Katz has a strong background in fencing coaching, coach education, and professional sport psychology and will act as the first Coach Tutor to deliver the new qualifications following approval by Coaching Ireland.
The CDP will provide the basis for more fencing coaches qualified under the Coaching Ireland umbrella, and thence more fencers and better fencers within Ireland.
Since the launch of the new framework, two Level 1 courses have taken place. Fencing Ireland also runs standalone coach development workshops aimed at existing coaches, and supports attendance at further coach education domestically and abroad.
Level 1 Coaching Course
Fencing Ireland will run a Level 1 course across three weekends from December 2017 to February 2018. View the invitation and full details here or register using the form below.
- James Barden (UCD) – Épée, Foil, Sabre
- Meng Wang (Ravenwood FC) – Épée
- Megan O’Callaghan (University College Cork) – Épée
- Michael Thompson (Lisburn Gladiators / RBAI) – Épée, Foil
- Joana Ramalho (Pembroke FC) – Foil
- Owen McNamee (UCD) – Sabre
- May Jeanette Fast (University College Cork) – Foil
- Judith McKay (Fence Like an Olympian) – Foil
- Seán Clarke (NUI Galway) – Épée, Foil
- Patrick Dight (Munster Blades) – Foil
- Daniel Barry (DUFC) – Épée
- Niamh Keogh (NUI Galway) – Sabre
- Úna de Bhuinn (Ravenwood FC) – Sabre
- Fionán Davitt (University College Cork) – Épée, Foil
- Crystal Percival (DUFC) – Foil
Registration Form: Level 1 Course starting December 2017