The 2017 AGM took place in Dublin 2 yesterday (Sunday 18 June.)
The following individuals were elected to the committee for 2017-18.
Hon. Chair: Philip Lee
Hon. Treasurer: Julian Smith
Hon. Secretary: Nuala McGarrity
Laura Donaghy, Des Gilhooly, Scott O’Malley, Michael Ryan, Duncan Salter, Jamie Simpson
All reports were adopted by the membership. The following amendments to the Articles were passed:
- Add the following sentence to Article 17.2:
“This provision shall only take effect in respect of years subsequent to 2016 meaning that a Director who was elected prior to 2016 at an AGM shall not have those years counted in respect of the above provision."
- Add the following sentence to Clause 16.1
“However, the Board shall be entitled to co-opt up to three Directors in addition to the statutory ten by way of a majority vote of the Board.”
- Committee: Nuala McGarrity signalled her intention to step down as Hon. Secretary by the end of December, and to oversee an orderly handover of her role in the meantime.
- Development: All-weapon training weekend to be held 19/20 August at Loreto Abbey Dalkey. Foil section already organised, epee and sabre to be arranged.
- Coaching: Level 2 course envisaged to be run between September and Christmas, and new Level 1 course to be run in early 2018.
- Strategy: Discussion of introducing young foilists to a second weapon earlier to maintain their interest.
- Competition: Look at format of some competitions in order to give more fencing, especially for women who feel they get poorer value in entry fees with small numbers.
- Students: Meeting of college Club Captains with Board to be held before September, examining graduate retention and training camps for students.